Deploying Qt application on OSX issue finding GStreamer plugins

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sat Dec 14 08:04:34 PST 2013

On Sa, 2013-12-14 at 04:38 -0800, rob_ewbank wrote:

> I am trying to deploy an application on OSX 10.8.5 which builds and runs on
> an OSX system but I am having runtime issues when the application is started
> due to it not location a GStreamer Plugin (in this case osxvideosink).
>
> I did the following steps to make the .app bundle.
>
>     Compiled the application in QtCreator release mode.
>     Ran macdeployqt on the resulting .app file
>     Added in additional libraries e.g. boost and gstreamer.
>     Used macdependency to find which paths were wrong, changed them to the
> right ones. All of the dependencys are found within the .app bundle and no
> errors are reported.
>     Ran the software on the machine with the libraries install and it works.
>     Made a .dmg file and moved it onto another machine. Copied out the .app.
>     Ran it and it work for a few seconds until the required gstreamer plugin
> is loaded when it crashes out as it cannot find that plugin.
>
> The way I see it, it could be caused by two issues. 1. osxvideosink does not
> work on that machine, which would be odd as it works on machines with
> exactly the same operation system. Or the libosxvideosink.dylib file is not
> found by the linker at run time.
>
> I'm pretty new to macs so any help / ideas would be appreciated.

You should get more information about why it doesn't find the plugin if
you enable debug logs, e.g. with setting the environment variable
GST_DEBUG to 6.

My guess here would be that you need to set GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH to
the directory where the plugins are now, as the default path
(/Library/Frameworks/...) is not correct anymore. If I understood you
correctly it is now all inside the .app?

Also some other environment variables should be set, e.g.
GST_PLUGIN_SCANNER to the path of the gst-plugin-scanner binary.

Expertise, Straight from the Source