question about how v4l2src gets supported capture device formats

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Mon Feb 4 13:09:38 PST 2013

I am working with a Sensoray hardware capture device and encoder. I am
trying to extend v4l2src to allow me to specify some of the hardware modes.
I am working with plugins-good v. 0.10.25. The version of the
libgstvideo4linux2 that was pre-built (I think I got it from RPM_FUSION)
gets 15 formats, which includes the 12 that the VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT ioctl call
returns plus 3 others. The version of code that I built (and v4l2-ctl
--list-formats) only gets the base 12 formats. The source code breaks out
of the 'get' loop when the v4l2_ioctl call returns < 0. It simply
increments the format index for each iteration. I am not changing the
driver between runs when I change the v4l2src library from the pre-built to
my version. How can the pre-built library version get the additional
formats? In my version of the source code there aren't any '#ifdef...' in
this area and the line numbers for the pre-built library match the line
numbers of the source, which I got here. The additional formats include:
RGB3, YU12, YV12.

I thank you if you can restore my sanity! (I appreciate all help anyway.)

Chuck