gst_element_query_position always returning zero

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 04:58:41 PST 2013

On Fri, 2013-02-15 at 18:17 +0530, satish pattar wrote:

> Additional information:
> I used filesrc instead of my source plugin, gst_element_query_position
> is working as expected, but with the plugin what
> I have is always returning zero when pipeline state is set to PLAYING.
> Also the source plugin is working in push mode.
>
> I am not sure if the problem lies in the source plugin or in player
> application.
>
> Your inputs are appreciated.

It's not really clear anyone will be able to provide much help here.

Are you checking the pipeline bus for messages? Are there any error
messages? Does the state change for the pipeline to PAUSED complete?

Maybe check the GST_DEBUG log to see what's going on. Start with

 GST_DEBUG=*typefind*:5,*decode*:5

to see if typefinding happens, if a media type is found, and if
decodebin tries to plug parsers/demuxers/decoders.

Cheers
 -Tim