gst_element_query_position always returning zero

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue Feb 19 11:24:24 PST 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-18 at 23:28 +0530, satish pattar wrote:

Hi,

> Thanks a lot Tim for your response.
> I enabled the log , from the log it appears that typefinding is done
> successfully & also pipeline status is set to playing.
> querying duration is failed when the pipeline state is PAUSED but
> again again when it is in playing state it always returns zero & no
> audio.
>

> I am attaching the logs for reference. what is going wrong here.

The log contains multiple criticals, such as:

(<unknown>:21725): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_pad_set_caps: assertion
`caps == NULL || gst_caps_is_fixed (caps)' failed

These are bugs in some plugin and should be fixed.

It looks like the mp3 decoder plugin is a bit broken. For one, it sends
a newsegment event in BYTE format to the sink, and I think things go
wrong from there. There are a lot of 'dropping sample out of segment
time 0:00:00.013061224, start 0:00:00.000000000' messages and the like,
that can't be good.

Perhaps try with an mp3 decoder that's not broken, or use an
mp3parse/mpegaudioparse in front of the mp3 decoder.

 Cheers
  -Tim