Prioritize hardware decoder for playbin2

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 19:50:14 PST 2013

Le jeudi 21 février 2013 à 11:57 -0700, Jim a écrit :
> Hi Soeren,
> Thanks for your time. I went ahead and tried setting the playbin2 flags
> property to 0x163 and noticed a big difference in CPU usage, it looks like
> it is now using the VPU based on the very low CPU usage. But after about 10
> seconds the video started getting choppy and froze. So I changed the flags
> to 0x063 (excluded the GST_PLAY_FLAG_BUFFERING flag) and now the video is
> playing smoothly and the CPU usage is still low.
>
> It's odd that disabling buffering would be helpful. Does that make any
> sense? I do see that the default flags for playbin2 are:
> "soft-volume+text+audio+video" (0x017) so by default buffering is not
> enabled.
>
> I think this solved my problem, thanks again!

Well, note that you have disable soft-volume, and enable Only use native
audio and Only use native video. This should have the effect of removing
any software element from your pipeline (scaling, resample, volume,
colorbalance etc.) I cannot tell exactly where is the CPU gain, but it's
most likely from one of these, and not from buffering.

regards,
Nicolas