One year since last update on 0.10

dv dv at pseudoterminal.org
Fri Feb 22 03:12:44 PST 2013

> IMO, prolonged active support on 0.10 will only add confusion and
> serve to poor overall quality of the code base: I've had a number of
> meetings on people bent on using 0.10. As a result, this drains
> resources on the 1.0 development because patches and work needs to be
> backported, fixes need to be done on old code: an overall reinforcing
> effect.
>
> The cut should be clean: 0.10 is dead; long live 1.0
>
> The more momentum in 1.0 there is, the better the quality is and
> rendering the 0.10 release question void.
>
> /my 2c

While I support this, keep in mind that there are big software packages
which are still tied to 0.10. One example is the GStreamer backend in
WebKit. Even newest toolkits like Qt5, which integrate WebKit, are still
using 0.10. In addition, many hardware decoding plugins are written for
0.10, not 1.0.

I think pushing WebKit and Qt5 to use 1.0 instead of 0.10 would help
considerably. As for the hw plugins, the biggest names I can think of
are TI (with their CodecEngine) and Freescale with their VPUs. I also
know of Marvell's vMeta, but do not know how common these are.
Fortunately, many of these have their GStreamer wrappers opensourced, so
a rewrite without involving them is possible.