One year since last update on 0.10

Sebastian Dröge sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk
Fri Feb 22 12:52:14 PST 2013

On Fr, 2013-02-22 at 19:10 +0800, Suresh Kumar SHUKLA wrote:
> For the existing solutions that are based on 0.10, a new tag can
> go as stability update. It will get tested widely as part of distros.
>
> I understand the focus on 1.0, so this old branch has to avoid new
> features. Maybe avoid backporting too.
>
> What do you say?

It's not that easy. Actually creating this stability-0.10 branch and
deciding which patches can go in there and which not, which patches
would additionally need to be backported (which alone isn't really
trivial sometimes, even for bugfixes) from 1.0 is a lot of work. The
full effects of some of the changes are not easy to understand and in
the end a lot of testing for regressions would be necessary.

Apart from that it would be necessary to continue to maintain this
stability-0.10 branch and provide support and bugfixes for it.

And most important, nobody of the GStreamer team has motivation or time
to do all this in their spare time and prefer to spend their spare time
with 1.0 instead.

Just let 0.10 die.

You were speaking about the Fedora test team earlier. What exactly are
they waiting for? To my knowledge most software in Fedora is now ported
to 1.0.