One year since last update on 0.10

Marc Leeman marc.leeman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 14:10:25 PST 2013

> Hey, you put your energy in the new stuff always. Back-porting always runs a
> serious risk of introducing new and strange problems.

Even though I passionately agree with you, I have been put in
situations where the SDK is being forced upon me. We are working on
jhbuild. Always. Both on Linux and on Windows. However, in corporate
environments, 'SDK' is a buzzword. Some people barely understand
makefiles, compiling and linking and are drawn to the word SDK as
moths to a flame.

It is always a strange combination where people pulling the technology
in a corporate environment are held back by an SDK that is outdated.

This is not just a GStreamer issue, mind you. I've seen this happening
with kernel development too where the same thing happens over and over
again with SDKs of some hardware manufacturers (freescale, texas
instruments, altera, xilinx, ...).

IMO there is only one option and that's tight and immediate
integration into the upstream source repositories.