vp8enc : Failed to initialize encoder

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Sun Feb 24 05:55:44 PST 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-23 at 21:18 -0500, Saurabh Sabnis wrote:

Hi,

> I have a pipeline that reads rtp stream, does some processing on it
> and sends it back on the network. Currently I have not written code
> for actual video manipulation, so I am only trying to read it and send
> it out without any processing.
>

> It looks like this:
> udpsrc -> rtpvp8depay -> vp8dec -> vp8enc -> rtpvp8pay -> udpsink
>

> I am getting the following error after launching this pipeline.
>
> ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstVP8Enc:vp8enc0: Failed
> to initialize encoder
> Additional debug info:
> gstvp8enc.c(795): gst_vp8_enc_set_format
> (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstVP8Enc:vp8enc0:
> invalid parameter
>
> First of all, is this a valid pipeline? Can I have vp8enc element
> immediately after vp8dec?
> If yes, does anyone know what is the cause for this error?

It looks like it should work.

Perhaps you should run it with GST_DEBUG=vp*:5, it might give you some
clue why it fails.

You could also try with GStreamer 1.x instead of 0.10, it might be
something that's been fixed (if it was a bug, which we don't know yet).

It could be that vp8dec here outputs a 0/1 framerate and vp8enc doesn't
like that or just map that properly to how the vp8 encoder wants it?

Cheers
 -Tim