problems with AAC in RTSP

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Thu Feb 28 08:48:37 PST 2013

I am receiving an RTSP source with both audio (AAC) and video (H264). I
receive the 2 rtp streams properly. My goal is to mux them into a single
MP2T stream. The video works fine and can be displayed on the ultimate
destination. The audio doesn't render on the destination. There are a
couple of pops at first, then silence. I have turned up logging on
decodebin2 (on the destination) and faad/faac on the intermediate system
(log level 5) and there aren't any errors. When I use a script to receive
the RTSP and render both the audio and video it works fine, so I know that
this can be done. I need this in C++ but am trying to get scripts with
gst-launch working first. Here is my intermediate script that receives
RTSP/RTP and transmits MP2T.

gst-launch -v rtspsrc location=rtsp://server:/filename.sdp name=src \
    src. ! queue ! rtph264depay ! mux. \
    src. ! queue ! decodebin2 ! faac ! mux. \
    mpegtsmux name=mux ! udpsink host=$1 port=$2

Here is my script for receiving/rendering.

gst-launch udpsrc port=$1 !  mpegtsdemux name=demux \
     demux. ! queue ! video/x-h264 ! ffdec_h264 ! xvimagesink sync=false \
     demux. ! queue ! decodebin2 !  autoaudiosink

I have also tried putting in a 'T' in the intermediate system to write the
audio stream to a file. When I tried to play that audio only file on VLC I
got these continuous error messages: Multiple blocks per frame in ADTS is
not supported. The audio stream does seem to be stereo.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
Chuck Crisler