clutter to video with gstreamer?

sramsay.unl at gmail.com sramsay.unl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 15:31:44 PST 2013

I would like to transcode a 2D animation into some kind of video format (while also adding an audio track).  I'm pretty convinced that GStreamer can do this sort of thing, and I've been looking at ways I might go from Clutter to video.  I've been emboldened by this post:

http://guillaume.segu.in/blog/code/216/doing-videos-of-clutter-animations/

Though I have to admit that I don't completely understand that code (for the reason suggested by the first comment).  The method seems to consist of writing a GStreamer plugin that copies frames using clutter_stage_read_pixels into a GstBuffer and then writing that to video.

Before I spend what I'm sure will be weeks trying to figure this out, I wonder if anyone can tell me if I'm barking up the right tree.  Am I making this too hard?  Is there some more recent method for doing this kind of thing?  Is there a 2D animation library (in C) that make it easier to go to video (using GStreamer, or anything else)?

--
Stephen Ramsay
Associate Professor