Cairotextoverlay issue

Jim restlessmindsstudio at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 10:46:15 PST 2013

I'm working with Gstreamer 0.10.36 under embedded Linux (with no windowing
system), coding in C++ using the Qt 4.8.3 library. I ran into a problem that
I hope someone else has seen and can offer some help.

I constructed a pipeline that uses an MPEG-2 transport stream file as a
source, feeding into a playbin2 element, with its video sink attached to a
cairotextoverlay element, which in turn is connected to an autovideosink
element. Whenever I stop the video playback by setting the pipeline state to
GST_STATE_NULL or GST_STATE_READY, the most recent frame of the video
remains on the screen.

If I remove the cairotextoverlay element from the pipeline then it behaves
as expected by returning to a black screen. The reason this is important to
me is because when the video is stopped, I need to be able to display a Qt
window.

It looks like there is a Pango plugin that provides text overlay
functionality for Gstreamer but the BSP (Board Support Package) I'm using
for my development board does not include that.

Thanks,

Jim