gst-streaming-server stalls

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Jan 8 09:14:29 PST 2013

On 2013-01-08 09:53, Gary Thomas wrote:
> I'm trying to run the gst-streaming-server, using one of the
> sample streaming sources provided with that package.  It sort
> of works, but the stream(s) are erratic and often just stop for
> long periods of time.  The stream has a time overlay and what
> I see is the timer stop and then when the video starts playing
> again, the timer carries on just where it left off. For example,
> it might pause at time 05.07 sec and wait 60 seconds before
> playing anything else and when it does, the timer continues
> right at 05.07 seconds and counting.  However, I can see HTTP
> traffic between my web browser and the server even when the
> video is stalled, so I'm really confused!
>
> I also get very different displays depending on the browser.
> FireFox (17.0.1) seems to stall less frequently, but it doesn't
> even show the timer overlay (that one really stumps me).  Google
> Chrome (20.0.1132.47 Ubuntu 12.04 (144678)) stalls a lot but
> does show the timer.
>
> Here's the source pipeline being used with the streaming server:
>
> gst-launch -q \
>    videotestsrc is-live=true ! \
>    video/x-raw-yuv,format=\(fourcc\)I420,width=320,height=180 ! \
>    cairotimeoverlay ! \
>    vp8enc ! \
>    queue ! \
>    webmmux streamable=true name=mux ! \
>    shout2send ip=127.0.0.1 port=80 mount=stream0 \
>    audiotestsrc volume=0.1 wave=ticks is-live=true ! \
>    vorbisenc ! \
>    queue ! \
>    mux.audio_%d
>
> Any ideas what's going on and how to fix it?  I need to be
> able to stream video to a web browser (directly using HTML5)
> so other streaming methods like RTSP aren't really viable.

A little more data - if I kill the streaming source while the
stream is still active on my browser (but stalled), the stall
breaks and many seconds of video start playing with no glitches!

To try and understand this a bit more, I'd like to capture the
source data [stream] to a file.  Can someone recommend how to
expand the pipeline above to still send the stream but also save
the .webm file?