gst-streaming-server stalls

marcin at saepia.net marcin at saepia.net
Sun Jan 13 14:06:06 PST 2013

Tim,

I see that you've taken this a bit personally and that wasn't my aim.

I *really* appreciate what you do. I am huge fan of GStreamer since
0.8 and I am not going to stop.

It is normal that new software has tons of bugs. It is awesome that
you fix them so quickly.

But I build high-availability media server upon GStreamer (or I try to
- stalls are the last problem to resolve). It is for radio stations
(including FM radios). If it crashes/behaves strange, radio simply
does not play which is the biggest fuckup that can happen for such
business.

So it is also normal in such case that I prefer 0.10 with ca. 530
fixed bugs than 1.0 with unknown amount of bugs yet to be fixed. I
cannot take this risk unless I will be forced to.

GStreamer team did already great job and I believe will continue to do
so, but you are only humans. You can, let's say, unintentionally
introduce regression in one of the plugins I use and chances for this
are obviously much higher in code base that changes frequently than
mature one.

My use case just requires to be extremely cautious but in any other I
would use 1.0 for sure.

Marcin