build from source

David Hoyt dhoyt at hoytsoft.org
Wed Jan 16 16:31:38 PST 2013

> d3dvideosink.h:47:22: fatal error: d3dx9tex.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

Typically you'd not want the Microsoft DirectX SDK headers when compiling w/
gcc. Instead, look for the mingw-w64-provided ones which should be
compatible. Not every build of mingw-w64, however, includes them. What you
should do is checkout the documentation on GStreamer SDK's build system
(cerbero) and checkout the msys bootstrap. Use the msys environment it
creates for you which should include all the tools you need. Myself and
others like me have gone through the pains of figuring out and creating a
sane, coherent environment for building lots of open source tools -- so if I
were you, I'd rely on our experience and just use our tools. You'll be much
happier. Unless you're like me and you have an insatiable desire to
understand all the tooling and environment and how it all plays together...
:D

I can also provide you w/ an MSI package that includes all of msys and
everything you need to compile GStreamer and its dependencies. I haven't
tested it against GStreamer 1.0+, but I don't have any reason to think it
wouldn't work...Contact me if you feel that would be useful.

On another note -- there should be a test to detect a proper DirectX
installation and if not found, skip over the d3dvideosink plugin. Not that I
have time to do that right now. :D

> IMHO it's a real shame that gstreamer and in fact all the gnome packages
are blighted with these ghastly autotools

Not a big fan of autotools myself, but it works...