Lost Elements

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Mon Jan 28 02:50:43 PST 2013

On Mon, 2013-01-28 at 10:16 +0000, Ian Davidson wrote:

> After trying to make parts of 1.0.5 from source, I updated my system
> to version 1.0.5 as soon as I saw it on the official Fedora repo site.
> The following shows what YUM thinks I have installed.
>  .(..)
> When I do a gst-inspect, I do not see very many elements
>         [ian at localhost ~]$ gst-inspect-1.0
>         (N coreelements)
>         Total count: 2 plugins, 19 features
>         [ian at localhost ~]$ gst-inspect-1.0 avimux
>         No such element or plugin 'avimux'
>
> How can I see all the 'missing' ones? Remove and re-install the
> packages? Something simpler?

Did you uninstall the from-source GStreamer ? If you still have the
build directory around, type sudo make uninstall in the build tree.

Check with 'which gst-inspect-1.0' which gst-inspect-1.0 is being used.
I am guessing it's /usr/local/bin/gst-inspect-1.0 (which you installed
from source) and not /usr/bin/gst-inspect-1.0 (from package).

The from-source GStreamer in /usr/local/ will only look for plugins
under /usr/local/lib/... not where the packages have installed the
plugins (/usr/lib/...). You *can* force GStreamer to look somewhere else
for plugins, but that's not really the right solution in this case.

The right solution is to uninstall your from-source GStreamer bits, so
the from-package GStreamer is being used.

If you still have the build directory around, type 'sudo make uninstall'
in the build tree. If not, try something like:

  find /usr/local/ -name '*gst*1.0*'

Check that it makes sense and looks GStreamer-related, then remove at
your own risk with:

  rm `find /usr/local/ -name '*gst*1.0*'`

Then try 'which gst-inspect-1.0' again and hope it
shows /usr/bin/gst-inspect-1.0 now.

Cheers
 -Tim