Two way audio slow and noisy

Wes Miller wmiller at sdr.com
Wed Jan 30 09:33:02 PST 2013

I use the following two pipes coded in C using gst_parse_launch() on two
machines to build an intercom between them.  On both machines
(Ubuntu/Xubuntu 12.04 gst 0.10.36) I dispatch these pipes one per separate
xterm.

pulsesrc
   ! audioconvert
   ! capsfilter     caps=audio/x-raw-int,rate=8000
   ! identity
   ! volume       volume=1.0
   ! level
   ! queue2
   ! audioresample
   ! alawenc
   ! rtppcmapay
   ! udpsink       host=10.253.5.233  port=8555 sync=false

udpsrc       port=8554
   !
application/x-rtp,media=audio,payload=8,clock-rate=8000,encoding-name=PCMA,channels=1
   ! rtppcmadepay
   ! audio/x-alaw,rate=8000,channels=1
   ! decodebin
   ! audioconvert
   ! capsfilter     caps=audio/x-raw-int,rate=8000
   ! identity
   ! volume       volume=1.0
   ! level
   ! queue2
   ! audioresample
   ! pulsesink    sync=false

The identity elements and maybe the queue2 elements are probably not needed
and the level elements are tied to a poor man's ASCII text vu meter so I can
see my data.  I also fiddle with the volume and sync settings.

Obviously the ports are reversed on the second machine so that one intercom
direction is on port 8555 to 8555 and the other is on port 8554 to 8554.

Now, if I run just one direction, say 8554 to 8554 only, I get decent sound
with maybea second of delay.  When I create the second pair of pipe the
performance of both directions really suffers.  There is a five plus second
delivery delay and when the sound arrives it is muddy and slowed down and
some additional background noise is generated (or maybe the native noise
gets amplified).

I should note that I have also tried building these pipes not using
gst_parse_launch() and the same behaviour is seen.

Any suggestions of questions are welcome.