Reference counter when getting EOS

Thomas Scheuermann scheuermann at barco.com
Wed Jul 17 23:14:35 PDT 2013

Hi Tim,

Am 17.07.2013 22:37, schrieb Tim-Philipp Müller:
> On Wed, 2013-07-17 at 17:11 +0200, Thomas Scheuermann wrote:
>>> Did you unref the pipeline? It will hold a reference to all of the
>>> elements in it.
>> Yes, I unref the pipeline. This is how I shutdown the pipeline.
>> I have an event loop which is left if it gets the EOS message or if I
>> press a key.
>> If I press a key the everything is OK and the finalize function of my
>> element is called.
>> If the event loop gets the EOS message, the finalize function of my
>> element is not called.
>> At the moment I don't know how to dig deeper into this problem.
>> Any help is appreciated.
> One way would be to try and come up with a minimal test program that
> exhibits the issue, and then share it with us. It's a bit hard to help
> without seeing the code, other than suggesting the things that have
> already been suggested (valgrind etc.).
>
> Do you do gst_element_set_state (pipeline, GST_STATE_NULL) as well when
> shutting down? (before unreffing it)
Yes, I set the pipeline state to GST_STATE_NULL.
> Are you sure you unref all GstBus messages? (depends on context if
> that's needed or not).
Yes. each time I get a message with gst_bus_timed_pop I also unref this
message and after leaving the event loop I also unref the bus.
I appended the source code of my player program.
Should I also send the source of the two elements I programmed? They use
a proprietary library which I can't publish.

>   Cheers
>    -Tim

Thanks,

Thomas