why gst-ffmpeg/gst-libav replaces FFmpeg with libav in 1.0?

Sebastian Dröge slomo at circular-chaos.org
Thu Jul 18 00:15:09 PDT 2013

On Do, 2013-07-18 at 05:32 +0000, Yin, Yan wrote:
> Hi Sebastian ,
> Thanks for the info, do you have any idea is there any discussion or announcement that I can find in the mailing list archive?
> We're in the evaluation of FFmpeg/libav for Tizen project, more data is needed for us to make the decision. :-)

AFAIK It was only discussed on IRC. But for a project like Tizen where
you actually have to maintain the package and also provide security
fixes and other important bugfixes it would IMHO be not the wisest
decision to go with ffmpeg :)

gst-libav is currently only supported to be built against libav, any bug
reports for bugs that happen with ffmpeg will be considered invalid
unless they are reproduced with libav too.

Also to my knowledge all Linux distributions that ship one of these,
only ship libav or at least prefer libav over ffmpeg (if they provide
both).