Using GStreamer for highly scalable, network streaming project.

yusuf.husainy yusuf.husainy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 04:18:50 PDT 2013

Hello all,

I have a project which involves video streaming and recording. Can anyone
help guide me whether the following is possible using GStreamer:

1) Video comes in from IP camera. The protocol & formats could be: h264 (i
am thinking uvch264src).
2) We have to record this video to hard disk continuously, 24x7. At the same
time, also have to stream out this video as rtsp/h264 and rtmp/h264 and
http/mjpeg
3) Scalability: should be able to support up to 500 different IP cameras and
up to 1000 clients (viewers who will receive rtsp or rtmp).
4) Server hardware: Intel Xeon or Intel i7 with lots of RAM and hard disk.:)

Questions:
a) Is it possible to create such a streaming and recording server using
gstreamer? The target deployment will be on Amazon EC2.

Regards,
Yusuf Husainy.