appsink buffer size control

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 08:43:43 PDT 2013

I haven't tried this, but I thought the blocksize parameter to the appsink
element controlled whether the appsink negotiated for a given buffer size,
and if non-zero was the size that it negotiated for.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 6:11 AM, George Demetriades <
gdemetriades at friendmts.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm writing a C++ program which involves passing a whole uncompressed
> video frame from my gstreamer pipeline through to my own application for
> processing, but I'm not able to make the pulled buffer the correct size.
> The I420 frame I want to pull is at 480 x 360, with 8 bits per pixel:
> including the chroma segment of the frame, this should be 259,200 bytes.
> Instead, GST_BUFFER_SIZE shows the pulled frame to only be 26,496 bytes
> large - obviously far too small.
>
> Would anyone be able to tell me how to fix the size of the buffer coming
> from my pipeline into the appsink? Is that even a parameter that the
> developer can control, or is it an internally-decided size?
>
> For reference, I'm running h264-encoded video from a udpsrc, through
> flutsdemux (to strip out the audio), through a fluh264dec (to decode the
> video into raw frames) and then into my appsink.
>
> Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, I've been struggling
> with this for a few days now.

Stirling Westrup
Programmer, Entrepreneur.
https://www.linkedin.com/e/fpf/77228