filesink

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Wed Jun 19 00:51:05 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-06-19 at 01:29 +0200, "Simon Krütt" wrote:

Hi Simon,

> anybody know why my .avi file, what is the output from this pipline
>
> gst-launch-1.0 -v ... \
>       rtpbin. ! rtph264depay ! avdec_h264 ! $videorate ! videoconvert
> \ ! avimux ! filesink location=test.avi  ....
>
> is huge (GBs after a minute) but contains no data which is playable
> via VLC? what I have to do to capture the stream into a playable .avi
> or .mp4 file?

Because you're decoding the H.264 video and storing raw video frames in
the AVI container. I suspect you want something like:

 ... rtph264depay ! h264parse ! avimux ! filesink location=foo.avi

(the h264parse should not be required here, I have inserted it for
pedagogical reasons ;)).

You also may want to consider using a different container than AVI here,
maybe qt/mp4 or matroska. The timing might not be right if you store
things in AVI like this.

 Cheers
  -Tim