html5 video streaming (progressive downloading) with gst-streaming-server

Rob robert.swain at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 09:11:01 PDT 2013

Hello,

On 28 June 2013 16:44, Serhiy Stetskovych <patriotyk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all, I need to stream webm vp8 to html5 video tag. Does gstreamer
> supports it? I don't need HLS or DASH, I need only progressive download for
> showing video in all popular and modern browsers.

It should technically support it but I haven't tested it. I think your main
problem will probably be the encoding performance of libvpx.

As Brendan noted, not all browsers support WebM. See here for info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video#Browser_support

As an alternative to WebM, fragmented MP4 may be a possibility. Between the
two you should be able to cover most browsers.

Having said that, HTML5 <video> doesn't seem to be well-suited to live
streaming right now but it is in the works through some of the MediaElement
/ MediaSource stuff.

Best regards,
Rob