Still looking for a solution

Federico Zamperini fzamperini at tiscali.it
Fri Mar 8 08:01:05 PST 2013

Sorry, I have no time to entirely read your email, so my solution may
not suit your needs.
I shared an IP camera to many (identical) clients using RTSP.
I used gst_rtsp_relay (https://github.com/alessandrod/gst-rtsp-relay),
which relays one (RTSP) stream -- the camera's one -- to many RTSP
clients. As you may already know RTSP is based on TCP and provides
control (for example negotiating caps between server and client) for
streaming media using RTP (over UDP -- default -- or TCP).
The clients were based on playbin2, but you can build your custom client
using rtspsrc, a depayloader, a decoder, and a sink (video, file or fake).
playbin2 (playbin in 1.0) is extremely flexible and IIRC you can even
switch the default sink with a custom element (for example filesink
instead of videosink); playbin is very smart and chooses the right
depayloaders, decoders, scalers, converters etc.
You can use it or you can just peep to see what element it has chosen.
Cheers

Federico