trying to analyze RTP

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Mon Mar 18 12:49:02 PDT 2013

OK, here is some documentation for others. I hope it helps.

First, this may have worked on my old version. When there is an RTP
problem, well, the diagnostics leave a lot to be desired. Many RTP streams
that may be valid don't play. However, some do. Therefore, right now I
can't claim that this is a definitive test of how good an RTP stream is.
When it works it is good. I have been testing with gstreamer 0.10.36.

There does seem to be another alternative, though I haven't yet gotten it
to work. Java stumps me. :-(

Check out this link to wireshark =>
http://wiki.wireshark.org/RTP_statisticsIt looks pretty interesting.
Then there is this other link (also found on the wireshark wiki) =>
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/irt/software/rtptools/ that looks really
interesting for verifying RTP. Wireshark has support for the rtptools built
in.

Chuck