Problems recording video rtspsrc when a uLaw audio rtspsrc is added.

Paddy pat.blanchon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 09:36:58 PDT 2013

Hello all,

I have a pipeline coded in C which is essentially this:

gst-launch-0.10 -e -vvv rtspsrc
location="rtsp://192.168.0.89/axis-media/media.amp?videocodec=h264&resolution=1280x720&fps=25&compression=50&audio=1"
name=demux demux. ! rtppcmudepay ! audioparse format=2 ! queue name=audioq !
matroskamux name=mux ! filesink location="test.mkv" demux. ! rtph264depay !
h264parse ! queue name=videoq ! identity ! mux.

The gst-launch command works a treat, however the C application I've written
doesn't. The C application is essentially the pipeline above, the main
difference is that the filesink location changes every 120s.

The application looks like it runs OK but when the recorded files are played
back they are only ~11.5s long; the strange thing is that they are
continuous & no video frames are dropped - even though they are created 2
mins apart. Even though they are only 11.5s long they grow steadily for the
120 seconds the filesink is written to (although they are about 10% of the
size they should be).

Obviously this data is being buffered somewhere & I'm guessing it's in the
jitterbuffer  as after about 4.5 minutes of running the message
"WARN      gstrtpjitterbuffer
gstrtpjitterbuffer.c:1463:gst_rtp_jitter_buffer_chain:<rtpjitterbuffer0>
Packet #<blah> too late as #<blah> was already popped, dropping"
appears at a rate of 100+/second.

More details about the problem:
This isn't a problem when recording video only (i.e. the audio is linked to
a fakesink straight from the rtspsrc audio srcpad), or when AAC audio is
used (& the audio depayloader & parser are changed from rtppcmudepay &
audioparse to rtpmp4gdepay & aacparse respectively).
Putting a buffer probe on the src & sink pads of the rtpjitterbuffer show a
steady rise in the difference between the the number of buffers entering &
leaving the video jitterbuffer element; which isn't seen when AAC audio is
used (or in the case of a video only pipeline).

Does anyone have any ideas on what this may be ??

Cheers,

Paddy