GStreamer logging

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue Mar 26 03:04:03 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-03-26 at 09:45 +0000, Ian Davidson wrote:

> I have been looking for a list of the Environment Variables which
> GStreamer uses.  I have not found such a list - all I have found is
> occasional mention of variables you might want to use.

Described here:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/html/gst-running.html

and in

  man gst-launch-1.0

at the end (but the first link is the main reference).

> Specifically, I notice that when you turn on logging, you tend to get a
> roomful of data.  I am aware that that I can redirect the output from
> STDOUT to a file

STDERR

> but I think I have seen mention of an environment
> variable to cause the logs to go to a specific folder.
>
> Did I imagine such a variable?  If not, what is it and where is it
> described?

It's called GST_DEBUG_FILE, but it seems it's not documented in the
version on the website (but fixed in git).

Cheers
 -Tim