Framerate Negotiation Issue.

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 11:19:14 PDT 2013

I've just recently added v4l2src as a video source to my application. I'm
having trouble with the default pipeline negotiation though. Right now the
pipeline is negotiating for maximum image size and a correspondingly
minimum framerate. As a result I end up with images that are 1600x1200 but
at 5 fps.

I'd prefer to have the negotiation aim for the highest possible framerate
not over 30 fps, and take whatever reduction in frame size that would
correspond to that. However, I don't want to hard-code any particular
framerate as most cameras seem to only support a fixed set of rates, and I
don't know what rates the attached camera will support.

I had originally hoped to use a capsfilter with a caps like

  framerate=(fraction)[30/1,5/1]

to indicated the range of framerates I'm looking for, with a preference for
the high end. However neither that nor any other scheme I've tried has
worked. Am I going to have to write a custom capsfilter element to do what
I want, or is there some other way that I'm just not seeing?

--
Stirling Westrup
Programmer, Entrepreneur.