Gstreamer: can't play 24bits 192K audio smoothly

Andrej Falout andrej at falout.org
Thu Mar 28 14:59:21 PDT 2013

Hi Bob,

you did not say nothing about type/speed of network connections for each PC.

Streaming 24/192 creates network traffic far from insignificant. I would
not trust anything accept 1G Ethernet for this task.

Even if this is nominally the case for you, be aware that one faulty or
substandard Cat 5e/6 cable can take down the nominal speed, and sometimes
on the whole network, depending on your switch ... etc etc...

Then there may be other issues not so obvious. If a sound interface in one
of PCs is not capable of playing 24/192 natively, re-sampling/conversion
will need to happen somewhere depending on configuration, in Alsa,
Gstreamer, Pulse, playback app, and depending on that it will consume more
or less CPU, which will in same case cause "not smoothly" :-)

Welcome to the wonderful world of network audio!

Andrej Falout