Putting a queue before input-selector causes it to fail to negotiate

Brendan Long self at brendanlong.com
Wed May 1 10:51:26 PDT 2013

I've been working on using an input-selector and ran into a strange
problem. If I connect directly to the input-selector, everything is fine:
> $ gst-git gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! input-selector ! autovideosink
> Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
> Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
> Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
> Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
> New clock: GstSystemClock
> ERROR: from element
> /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAutoVideoSink:autovideosink0/GstXImageSink:autovideosink0-actual-sink-ximage:
> Output window was closed
> Additional debug info:
> ximagesink.c(686): gst_ximagesink_handle_xevents ():
> /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAutoVideoSink:autovideosink0/GstXImageSink:autovideosink0-actual-sink-ximage
> Execution ended after 0:00:02.106750438
> Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
> Setting pipeline to READY ...
> Setting pipeline to NULL ...
> Freeing pipeline ...
But if I put a queue before the input-selector, it fails:
> $ gst-git gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! queue ! input-selector !
> autovideosink
> Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
> Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
> ERROR: from element
> /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstVideoTestSrc:videotestsrc0: Internal data
> flow error.
> Additional debug info:
> gstbasesrc.c(2814): gst_base_src_loop ():
> /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstVideoTestSrc:videotestsrc0:
> *streaming task paused, reason not-negotiated (-4)*
> ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
> Setting pipeline to NULL ...
> Freeing pipeline ...
It turns out I don't need the queue, but I'm confused about what's
causing the problem. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong
(besides just being wasteful)?