Multiple Source Pipeline Hangs

David Röthlisberger david at rothlis.net
Tue May 7 00:50:42 PDT 2013

On 6 May 2013, at 21:50, John Westing wrote:

> I read the article and understand that the problem is likely an issue with threading, hence the reason for the {} brackets described in my first post: {} brackets in a gst-launch pipeline spawn an additional thread for the elements surrounded in the brackets. However, in my case when I use the {} brackets I get the GStreamer warning "Error during parsing: syntax error, unexpected $undefined" as described in my first post.

Interesting, I didn't know that! Where is this documented? A Google
search for "gst-launch brackets thread" returns this man page:
http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_gst-launch.htm

which says:

    A group of elements surrounded by curly braces {, } will be executed
    in a separate thread.

However, it isn't clear what version of GStreamer the above corresponds
to. On my Ubuntu 12.10 system, neither the man page for gst-launch-0.10
nor gst-launch-1.0 contain this text (nor any mention of "{").

> I tried surrounding the last 2 lines
> with {} brackets, e.g. { myfakesrc ... i. } \, but it still didn't work and
> I got the GStreamer warning: "Error during parsing: syntax error, unexpected
> $undefined".

Have you ruled out shell expansion issues? i.e. if you replace
"gst-launch" with "echo" do you get the pipeline you'd expect?
(Sorry if this isn't helpful.)  :-)

Dave.