Problem with using shmsink/shmsrc

shiva.mudugal shiva.mudugal at gmail.com
Wed May 15 23:04:42 PDT 2013

Hi Mattes,

Thank you for your replay. I figured out what the problem was with my
pipeline. As you know "filesrc" is a pull based source element.  In the
pipelines I mentioned, on the sending side(shmsink) there in nobody to pull
data from filesrc as am sending the data directly without decoding(otherwise
demuxer would have pulled the data from filesrc). So the sending side also
block and so is receiving side. Now below pipelines work for me.

Sending:
gst-launch-0.10 --gst-debug=filesrc:6 filesrc
location=~/Downloads/test_cases/output_file.ts  ! decodebin2 ! typefind   !
shmsink socket-path=/tmp/feed-control-pipe shm-size=10000000
wait-for-connection=0 -v

Receiving:
gst-launch-0.10 --gst-debug=shmsrc:6 shmsrc
socket-path=/tmp/feed-control-pipe do-timestamp=true is-live=true !
"video/x-raw-yuv, width=(int)640, height=(int)360, framerate=(fraction)25/1,
format=(fourcc)I420, interlaced=(boolean)false" ! queue ! autovideosink

Now, in my custom application sending side I can't use "shmsink" rather I
should emulate what "shmsink" is doing in a native c code(without gstreamer)
and on the receiving side I should use "shmsrc" gstreamer plugin to process
further. Now I have started using shmpipe.[ch] for this purposes. As you
have already done this can you please share a sample application that you
wrote or share some hints on this.

-shiva