Disappearing "segment done" event?

Axel Philipsenburg philipsenburg at papaya-cms.com
Mon May 27 04:26:04 PDT 2013

Hello everybody,

I'm currently doing a couple of prototypes to evaluate gstreamer as a
possible technology choice
for an upcoming project.

With a bit of studies of the manuals and code, I was able to solve most
of my problems, so far. But
now I hit a dead end.

Short description of a scenario:
I have multiple independent video sources that I want to extract in
parts and combine using the video mixer.

Sending the seek event to the sources works fine. However, I have a hard
time to figure out how to
react to a seek segment having finished to play so that I can send the
next seek event.

The GST_SEGMENT_DONE message on the bus is invoked properly, but from
that one I can't determine
which of the video sources finished playing a segment, because the
message only holds the top level
pipeline as parent.

So I thought to try pad probes or pad event functions to react on the
GST_EVENT_SEGMENT_DONE
event. I tried to look for it on various pads in the pipeline, but it
did not show up, although the
seek event sets GST_SEEK_FLAG_SEGMENT (BTW: If I leave this, I get an
EOS instead of SEGMENT_DONE
on the message BUS, so I expect it to be properly passed to the even.).

To debug this, I created a simple
filesource->decodebin->convert->videosink
pipeline, but I still don't see and GST_EVENT_SEGMENT_DONE in my
callbacks. The segment start event
works just fine, the done event keeps missing.

I also ran the pipeline with GST_DEBUG=*:5 and grepped the output for
"Sending segment done, at end of segment"
that the demuxers should log on segment done according to the sources.

As of now, I really don't know where to look for more information on
that topic.

My code compiles and links against gstreamer 1.0.6 on an Ubuntu 12.10
system.

Any help or pointers where to keep  looking are very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Axel

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards
papaya Software GmbH

i.A. Axel Philipsenburg

--
papaya Software GmbH | Im MediaPark 5 | 50670 Koeln | Germany
Tel./Ph.: +49-221-5743-8072 | Fax: +49-221-5743-8099