Cerbero on XP

Wes Miller wmiller at sdr.com
Wed May 29 06:57:46 PDT 2013

I am trying/failing to build Gstreamer on WinXP.  My first problem came with
cerbero.  Following the instructions included in  Building From Source using
Cerbero
<http://docs.gstreamer.com/display/GstSDK/Building+from+source+using+Cerbero>
, I used git to get the cerbero package.  The contents look distinctly like
they are to be built, not just installed.  Nowhere in the instructions of
anywhere else I look were thee any instructions on how to do the build or an
install, so I typed /make/ which got me a "setuptools is missing error.
Google told me to:

/
    wget
http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c11.tar.gz
    tar zxvf setuptools-0.6c11.tar.gz
    cd setuptools-0.6c11
    python setup.py build
    python setup.py install
/

which I did and it seemed to work,

Again I entered /make/ and got this message:

    Administrator at vm-wmiller1-xp ~/Downloads/   *cerbero*
    $ *make*
    /python setup.py build
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "setup.py", line 5, in <module>
        from cerbero.utils import shell
      File "c:\Downloads\cerbero\cerbero\utils\shell.py", line 40, in
<module>
        PLATFORM = system_info()[0]
      File "c:\Downloads\cerbero\cerbero\utils\__init__.py", line 192, in
system_info
        raise FatalError("Windows version '%s' not supported" % win32_ver)
    cerbero.errors.FatalError: Fatal Error: Windows version 'XP' not
supported
    make: *** [all] Error 1 /

Have I done all this installing and setting up for naught?  Can't I use XP?
Is there an older version of cerbero thaat knows how to use XP?

Wes