Decoding and playing a VLC video stream?

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Wed May 29 12:52:12 PDT 2013

I telecommute to work, and my office has recently started streaming the
contents of our video projector during meetings so folks like I can see
what is being projected.  I don't know too many details of their setup,
except that they are using VLC to capture the projector stream and are
sending out over a VNC. I'm told the stream is an asf-mux of wmv2 video.

At my end the data shows up at http://localhost:8080. I can watch the video
by running:

vlc http://localhost:8080

so that I know I'm getting the data correctly. However, I would like to
figure out how to decode this stream via gstreamer so I could play it on my
video wall.

So far my every attempt at this has failed. The best I've been able to
accomplish is this:

$ gst-launch-1.0 playbin  uri=http://localhost:8080
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
buffering... 0%
(gst-launch-1.0:16211): GStreamer-WARNING **:
gstpad.c:4496:store_sticky_event:<typefind:src> Sticky event misordering,
got 'caps' before 'stream-start'
ERROR: from element
/GstPlayBin:playbin0/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0/GstASFDemux:asfdemux0:
Could not demultiplex stream.
Additional debug info:
gstasfdemux.c(937): gst_asf_demux_chain_headers ():
/GstPlayBin:playbin0/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0/GstASFDemux:asfdemux0:
header parsing failed, or no streams found, flow = unknown
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

I've tried a few other things, but the best I've been able to get is
asfdemux complaining that it can't decode anything. Does anyone have other
ideas of what I could try?

--
Stirling Westrup
Programmer, Entrepreneur.