Network streaming

Marc Leeman marc.leeman at gmail.com
Fri May 31 00:41:42 PDT 2013

> First, learn about logging. Here is a reference pointer since you are using
> 0.10. http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/0.10.30/
>
> Another link
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/faq/html/chapter-troubleshooting.html
>
> More on logging:
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/html/gstreamer-GstInfo.html
>
> On the server, you don't want to 'decode'; you want to 'encode'. Use
> 'encodebin' (I think this is the one). You should probably use 'decodebin'
> on the client.

In this particular case, he will be sending RAW video over the network
in UDP form. This means that even though you will get the data on the
receiver; you will have it in a format that your receiver knows little
about (and you can only hope to have some defaults). It is raw; this
means there is no or little information embedded in the stream. He
will receive it (raw) and try to decode it as mpeg4; this will be a
bit of a problem.

The original information of the sender is far to little to come to a
decent proposal or even an idea to understand what he wants to
achieve. He has some kind of encoded data (probably MPEG2 or MPEG1,
considering the container) and he wants to send it over the network in
MPEG4. So he needs to decode it and then again encode it.

Furthermore, sending in pure UDP is probably a bad idea; at the very
least; split it in decent blocks under the MTU by using RTP to avoid
UDP fragmentation.

> You may have a problem with the IP Addresses. Search the archives for info
> about IPv4 vs. IPv6 issues. One (either udpsink or udpsrc) uses IPv4 by
> default, the other uses IPv6 by default.
>
> There are *LOTS* of examples available, both on the GStreamer site and
> hundreds of other sites. Read all you can.

There are indeed a lot of examples available. Any minimal google
search will probably turn up something useful.