Status of GPU accelerated decoding

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Sat Nov 2 06:40:01 PDT 2013

I want to write a video player with gstreamer, and one of the
requirements is being able to play HD material with a low-power CPU. I
was disappointed to find that neither vdpau nor vaapi have been fully
ported to 1.2 yet, and I don't want to send myself down a dead-end by
using 0.10.

Are either of these plugins likely to become usable again soon? I
realise these technologies probably don't fit in well with gstreamer and
the developers face a lot of difficulties, but I think accelerated
decoding is almost essential for a well-capable video player.