Status of GPU accelerated decoding

Robert Krakora rob.krakora at messagenetsystems.com
Sat Nov 2 11:09:03 PDT 2013

Hi Tony,

I am a Fluendo customer and I think that I heard that they are really close
to a release of their codec pack with HW acceleration for GStreamer 1.X.
 We have been using them for over five years with great success.  We employ
Atom based mediaports with both AMD and NVIDIA GPUs and there is no load
whatsoever on the Atom during decode.

Best Regards,

Rob Krakora

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Tony Houghton <h at realh.co.uk> wrote:

> I want to write a video player with gstreamer, and one of the
> requirements is being able to play HD material with a low-power CPU. I
> was disappointed to find that neither vdpau nor vaapi have been fully
> ported to 1.2 yet, and I don't want to send myself down a dead-end by
> using 0.10.
>
> Are either of these plugins likely to become usable again soon? I
> realise these technologies probably don't fit in well with gstreamer and
> the developers face a lot of difficulties, but I think accelerated
> decoding is almost essential for a well-capable video player.

Rob Krakora,
Senior Software Engineer

MessageNet Systems
101 E Carmel Dr, Suite 105
Carmel, IN 46032

MessageNetSystems.com<http://www.messagenetcommunicationsystems.com/?utm_source=email+signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email+signature+to+homepage>
Rob.Krakora at MessageNetSystems.com <rob.krakora at messagenetsystems.com>
P: 317.566.1677, 212
F: 317.663.0808

For the latest news, information, and blogs, please be sure to visit,
follow, and like us...

<http://www.messagenetcommunicationsystems.com/get-the-message-out-blog/?utm_source=email+signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=gmail+signature+to+blog>
   <http://www.youtube.com/user/MessageNetConnection/feed>
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/messagenet-systems>