Status of GPU accelerated decoding

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sun Nov 3 01:52:16 PST 2013

On Sa, 2013-11-02 at 16:34 +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 14:06:25 +0000
> Tim Müller <tim at centricular.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2013-11-02 at 13:40 +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:
> >
> > Hi Tony,
> >
> > > I want to write a video player with gstreamer, and one of the
> > > requirements is being able to play HD material with a low-power CPU. I
> > > was disappointed to find that neither vdpau nor vaapi have been fully
> > > ported to 1.2 yet, and I don't want to send myself down a dead-end by
> > > using 0.10.
> >
> > gst-vaapi master branch includes support for 1.2 now if I'm not
> > mistaken.
>
> That's what I thought I'd read, but I was getting an error from
> autogen.sh because it was trying to use an obsolete API
> (gstreamer-basevideo). I found a recent message which suggested using
> --with-gstreamer-api=1.2 which has solved that hurdle.
>
> I've got a new problem now (trying to build the Debian package):
>
> .libs/plugins-scan.o: In function `get_object_types':
> /home/tony/src/gstreamer-vaapi/docs/reference/plugins/plugins-scan.c:22: undefined reference to `gst_vaapipostproc_get_type'
>
> That looks like I might be able to work around it by disabling the
> building of docs, but in case not and/or I have further problems, is
> this the best place to ask for help with gstreamer-vaapi or should I try
> emailing Gwenole Beauchesne directly?

Please file a bug here:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gstreamer-vaapi

It's a bit annoying that they didn't get a release done with proper
support for 1.2 yet, and also don't properly auto-detect the available
GStreamer version.

--
Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com>
Centricular Ltd - http://www.centricular.com