GStreamer doubt

Brendan Long self at brendanlong.com
Tue Nov 5 09:38:35 PST 2013

It looks like someone responded to your most recent question. An earlier
one was (paraphrased), "I want to make a video conferencing program, how
do I do that?". There are two problems that reduce the chances of
getting a good answer:

  * Practical: The question is open ended and complicated, and it also
    requires knowledge of Qt. This reduces the number of people who can
    help you, or have time to help you.
  * Social: The question comes across as asking people to do your entire
    project for you. This reduces the number of people who want to help you.

To get help, you'll need to reduce the amount of work you're asking
people on the mailing list to do for you. I'd recommend the following:

 1. Figure out exactly what you want to do.
 2. Learn about Qt5 if you haven't already.
 3. Read the GStreamer manual
    <http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/manual/html/index.html>
    and FAQ
    <http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/faq/html/index.html>.
    You may also want to peruse the GLib manual
    <https://developer.gnome.org/glib/2.38/>.
 4. Become familiar with the GStreamer documentation (I usually find
    these pages by Googling for "GStreamer [element name]" or "GStreamer
    [thing I want to do]").
 5. Try to write your program.
 6. If you have trouble, try to ask questions in one of the following forms:
      * "I wrote this (short, self contained example) code
        <http://sscce.org/>, and I expect it to do [something], but
        instead it does [something else]. Why is that?"
      * "I'm trying to do [something], but couldn't find an element that
        does that. Does one exist?" (Note: You'll save time and goodwill
        by Googling "GStreamer [what you want to do]" first)

Once you're at step 6, there's a good chance a random person on the
mailing list will be able to help you with little-to-no-effort on their
part, which means you'll be much more likely to get a response. At any
step before that, the best answer someone can give you will generally be
one of the previous steps (read the manual, try something first, etc.).

I hope this helps, and good luck.