GStreamer API over RPC: does it make sense?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Nov 6 03:34:21 PST 2013

On Di, 2013-11-05 at 22:28 +0400, Fedor Lyakhov wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Thanks for your comments! Very encouraging for me.
> Are you talking about SoC 2014? Where can I look at the status of this
> project? Is it awaiting approval from Google now?

It was just an idea I had for 2013 and put on the GStreamer GSoC wiki
page. Nobody was interested in doing that :) Also highly irrelevant for
your problem AFAIU.

> As for what we really need for Spice - I'm not sure I understand your
> idea correctly. There are 3 major media-related use cases we want to
> optimize:
> * playback of a local media resource (local - at VM); this is
> addressed at http://www.spice-space.org/page/Features/CodecPassthrough
> * playback of a remote media resource
> * IP telephony
> Last two are addressed at
> http://www.spice-space.org/page/Features/MediaRedirection
> [...]

A complete design for this is not really trivial and you would need to
consider all your requirements and constraints carefully. So just some
hints here what you could do.

One thing you could do is to make GStreamer audio/video sinks that
accept compressed data (+ some control data) and send that over the
Spice channel. And on the other side these are then decoded and put in
the right place. Of course will only work for GStreamer applications
that use those sinks (well, and playbin if you do it right). Also the
streams would be demuxed and parsed before sent over the Spice channel.

The same could be done on the input side with custom sources.

Proxying the complete GStreamer API doesn't seem like it would solve
your specific problem, other than making everything more complicated :)

--
Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com>
Centricular Ltd - http://www.centricular.com