H264Parse output-format types

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Fri Nov 8 14:50:23 PST 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-08 at 13:38 -0500, Chuck Crisler wrote:

Hi Chuck,

> In the 'bad' plugins, v. 0.10.20, the h264parse element has a property
> 'output-format' with the options: AVC Sample Format, Byte Stream
> Format and Input format. What is the real difference in these?

These are different representations of H.264 video data. byte-stream
format is also known as "Annex B" format sometimes.

In early 0.10 versions there was a property for the output format. In
later versions and 1.x the output format is determined via the normal
caps negotiation mechanism, so if one wants to force a specific output
format one can put a capsfilter after h264parse, otherwise it will try
to figure out which one is desired itself.

>  If 'Input Format' merely uses the same format on output that it sees
> on input, does it change when bitstream SPS/PPS headers cause a change
> from bytestream to packetized?

I'm not sure I understand the "when bitstream SPS/PPS headers cause a
change from bytestream to packetized" bit or what you're asking here
exactly.

Cheers
 -Tim