Enabling server streaming of media from specific points in time

Dece Bel decebel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 17:57:40 PST 2013

In my gstreamer based app, I am storing the latest time for a playing media
before the player is stopped. The idea is to auto start playback at the
same point at which the user last closed the player instead of manually
dragging the time slider to the last watch timestamp. In the current state,
the media is being served by a http web server and the playbin2's uri
property is set to the video file path (Just like the gstreamer tutorial
examples).

Without downloading the entire media every time the media is played, how do
I start streaming a media only from a specific point in time.
For example, if the media was watched for 20 minutes the first time and
then the app was closed - a next viewing of the same media should start
from the same point in time (20th minute).

Once the player is closed, I am sending a http post message with the media
file name that was played, played duration and subtitle language that was
selected (if any). I guess some server side computing might have to be done
for the webserver so that it serves the media from the desired point in
time.

I am not sure on the right way to go about implementing this functionality.

Thanks in advance
Dece