Questions regarding GstVideoOverlay and about-to-finish for Seamless application

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Wed Nov 20 01:51:27 PST 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 18:01 -0500, Joshua Kurland wrote:

Hi Joshua,

> When the pipeline sees the end of the video, it has to stop and load
> the next URI.  When this happens, the display window also breaks
> down.  When the pipeline plays the next video it must open a new
> window, which takes a noticeable amount of time.  I just moved from
> using version 0.10 to 1.x (support is finally coming out for the
> board!) and I would to use GstVideoOverlay to manage the window issue,
> but I am having trouble determining exactly what is needed to do
> that.  I know the sink element (mfw_isink) so I think I can just use
> gst_video_overlay_set_window_handle(), but I don't know HOW I need to
> use it.  Would anyone be able to explain it to me like I am a child?
>  It would be much appreciated.

I think it would be easier to keep using the same sink, and simply
switching the inputs. In 1.x the streamsynchronizer element is exposed,
so you can use it yourself too even if you don't want to use playbin.

> I also tried experimenting with the about-to-finish signal.  I was
> able to use this signal in version 0.10 to do my switching
> successfully (although still not seamless).  With the upgrade to 1.21,
> with the same code running I never go to the about-to-finish
> callback.  Was this once again disabled in the latest version of
> gstreamer?

Not that I'm aware of, and gst-play-1.0 --gapless file1 file2 works fine
for me with 1.2 (about-to-finish signal gets fired fine at least). Could
you give us more details what no longer works exactly? (code, what
element, etc.)

 Cheers
  -Tim