Using qdata with tee

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Fri Nov 22 01:21:23 PST 2013

On Thu, 2013-11-21 at 14:20 -0800, babakshir wrote:

Hi,

> I can successfully send metadata between two custom plugins with several
> other plugins in between them via gst_buffer_set_qdata and
> gst_buffer_get_qdata, but when there is tee in between them the metadata
> does not get passed the tee.

Are you sure that is what's happening? tee only increases the refcount
of buffers, so it shouldn't interfere with the qdata at all.

What might happen, however is that some element after the tee allocates
a new output buffer and copies things into that without copying the
qdata via gst_buffer_copy_metadata(). Even a gst_buffer_make_writable(),
which may or may not (depending on whether other threads are still
holding a ref to the same buffer) should preserve the qdata if I
remember correctly.

Cheers
 -Tim