"import pygst" compromises use of optparse

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Nov 22 11:03:57 PST 2013

On Fr, 2013-11-15 at 12:21 +0200, Dan wrote:
> Hi, I have a program that needs to run on Python 2.5, therefore I'd
> like to use optparse. Now,
> [...]
>
> So pygst (or gst) seem to compromise usage of optparse unless you
> parse options before anything else. Is there a way to avoid this
> behavior?

Yes, this was a known problem with the 0.10 (and 0.8) Python bindings
for GStreamer and couldn't be changed properly because it would break
backwards compatibility with existing code.

The solution for this would be to move to the 1.x versions of GStreamer
and use the new bindings available for that. You should do that anyway,
as 0.10 is no longer supported by the GStreamer project since a long
time.

--
Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com>
Centricular Ltd - http://www.centricular.com