GStreamer 1.2.1, vs2013, cinder 0.8.5 and a 'hello world'

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon Nov 25 04:51:29 PST 2013

On Mo, 2013-11-25 at 20:30 +0900, Lasse Laursen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've posted a bit previously about intentions of using GStreamer for
> streaming some video to an OpenGL texture. It resulted in a drawn out
> period of development where I spent about 2-3 weeks scrambling trying to
> recompile this and that and using all sorts of tools. Sufficed to say -
> it's taking me too long to figure out how to do that, so I'm forced to
> try a much, much simpler approach, just to get something simple working.
>
> Essentially I'm just content with getting a set of raw frames out of a
> video using gstreamer and putting these in memory for my own use. I know
> that can easily ballon to several hundred megs, but I'm content with
> restricting myself to smaller film clips.
>
> So I grabbed the latest releases of gstreamer 1.2.1 and got to work
> compiling the following simple 'hello world' example:
>
> void VideoMaster::gstTesting3()
> {
> [...]
> }
>
> So - if I run the command 'playbin
> uri=http://docs.gstreamer.com/media/sintel_trailer-480p.webm' straight
> from the command line gst-launch-1.0.exe, then things work out fine more
> or less. However, in my cinder application I get a big fat nothing.
>
> I'm assuming this may have something to do with the fact that Cinder
> creates its own personal OpenGL rendering context and this simple 'hello
> world' example tries to create it's own rendering window which somehow
> creates trouble?
>
> I am a bit puzzled though as the pipeline object itself just becomes a
> NULL object. Perhaps that's normal behavior if something goes wrong?

What do you mean with it becomes a NULL object? Does
gst_element_factory_make() already return NULL?

> While I'm on a roll here - I was also wondering if someone could point
> me in the direction of what I should be looking at if I'm interested in
> letting the program open any video file gStreamer can handle, and
> putting them into a sink that allows me to extract raw single frame data?

You probably want to use an appsink as video-sink, and from that grab
the raw video frames and convert them to an OpenGL texture.

Alternatively take a look at gst-plugins-gl.

--
Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com>
Centricular Ltd - http://www.centricular.com