videomixer with external images

Frédéric Sallé salle.frederic at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 12:42:28 PST 2013

Hello,

I'm desperately trying to mix a live video source with images generated
in 'real-time' by an external java application.
The command line looks like that:

/gst-launch-0.10 \//
//filesrc location=[a linux fifo pipe] ! "image/jpeg,framerate=25/1" !
jpegparse ! jpegdec ! alpha method=blue  ! \//
//videomixer name=mix ! ffmpegcolorspace ! xvimagesink sync=false \//
//v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480 !
ffmpegcolorspace ! mix.//
/
With the 0.1 version, It works as expected.
BTW, the 1.x version of that pipeline (with binaries from the PPA),
Gsteamer hangs most of the time but sometimes it's ok :-(

However the issue is that the JPEG compression mess up the blue
background used for the alpha blending and the image to overlay. (I
don't want to use sink_X::alpha=XX properties of the videomixer to get a
clear overlay.)

To my understanding, there is also no lossless JPEG decoder available ...
I tried to replace JPEG images by PNG images. The PNG format is
embedding the alpha channel so no issue this time. Unfortunately, I was
not able to find or use a PNG parser or frame marker ...
multifilesrc is aslo not really an option as the sync between the live
source and the overlay will be nearly impossible to manage properly ...
I believe that a trivial payloader would do the job but I do not know one.

I'm running out of ideas to solve the initial problem ...

Any new ideas and help are welcome!

Thank you,
Frederic