Play Audio in Background on iOS

Scott Kidder kidder.scott at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 08:38:10 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com
> wrote:

> On Mo, 2013-11-25 at 13:19 -0800, Scott Kidder wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Are there any suggestions for background playback on iOS with gstreamer?
> > [...]
>
> You have to make sure your application works in background mode, see
> this for some pointers:
>
> https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/iphone/conceptual/iphoneosprogrammingguide/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007072-CH4-SW20

Thanks Sebastian, this was enough to get me pointed in the right direction.
 All of my testing thus far has been with the iOS Simulator.  I've seen
several comments around the Web indicating that background audio playback
does not work in the iOS Simulator; it works on hardware devices only.
 This post on the Apple Developer site suggests that certain functions are
not available on the Simulator, though it doesn't call out background audio
playback specifically:
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/Audio/Conceptual/AudioSessionProgrammingGuide/Basics/Basics.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007875-CH2-SW9

I'll test on an iOS device in the next day or so and respond on this thread
with my results.

Thanks again,

--Scott Kidder