GStreamer 1.2.1, vs2013, cinder 0.8.5 and a 'hello world'

Lasse Laursen gazoo at 42.dk
Thu Nov 28 19:42:50 PST 2013

On 26-11-2013 17:07, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> That sounds like either your pipeline string is wrong, or you don't
> initialize GStreamer correctly. There's a GError* parameter to
> gst_parse_launch() that will contain the information about the error,
> also you might get some warnings on stderr.
I tried using the GError in the function call earlier without luck. It
wouldn't contain any error for some reason, or at least that was how it
appeared to me. I think I must have not been paying attention or
something since it worked now. Anyway - the error message:

Parse error: no element "playbin"

strongly hints to the fact that GStreamer is not finding my plugins
directory. I feel that the Gstreamer community and devel support is
strong enough to handle some soft, polite and appreciative feedback in
the form of 'I often feel pretty confused as to just getting the basics
with GStreamer to run in Windows.'. For example, I can only find some
semi-complete guides that involve GStreamer 0.10 which - as I understand
it - is long past its due. If I get enough spare time, I could write a
short guide I suppose.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, as I noted earlier, I can run
the string directly from the command line in the GStreamer folder
without any issues, so it's almost surely a case of Gstreamer not
finding what it needs. I've included the 'gstreamer-1.0.props' in my
debug/release version, and this clearly isn't enough. The older guide I
found for Gstreamer 0.10 also recommended including the
'%GSTREAMER_SDK_ROOT_X86%\bin' in my Windows %PATH%.

However, this still doesn't work. I feel like I still am not doing the
'proper' thing to point Gstreamer in the right direction. What am I missing?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Gazoo